Welcome back to a belated edition of Meditative Monday.
Something interesting happened on Monday.
My LO was holding a stuffed animal cat, states it's a girl. When I ask why? She says because it has eyelashes.
I point out that all boys (men) we know have eyelashes too. She contemplates this, then comes back with "she has lipstick", this specific toy doesn't, it's just sticking out it's tongue. It is amazing how early gendering begins to be ingrained in little minds :(
I point out that all boys (men) we know have eyelashes too. She contemplates this, then comes back with "she has lipstick", this specific toy doesn't, it's just sticking out it's tongue. It is amazing how early gendering begins to be ingrained in little minds :(
I'll have to figure out ways to begin discussing gendering with her but this was a good start to get her thinking about it.
I don't wear makeup on a daily basis, I reserve it for special occasions for many reasons. So I know the association isn't just me but others around her too, and I can understand why she's come to this conclusion.
It'll be addressed in its due time. I always have to remind myself, the fact that I'm even thinking about these things and contemplating these discussions is still a step in the right direction.
I also want to discuss something else in regards to gender. With all this gender-bending and excitement about it (thinking of photos that circulate on facebook of boys in dresses, etc.), I find that we're frowning more and more on gender-conforming. What do I mean by that? If I had a boy and he decided to wear a tutu, he'd be celebrated. But if my daughter decides to wear a tutu, it's not. It's almost frowned upon because of the gender-confirming. The double standard needs to end. Sure some of what my LO chooses might be influenced by societal gendering but just like the boys choice to choose the dress is his choice, so is my daughter's choice to wear a tutu her own. She also likes things that stores designate in the "boys section" and I don't object or provide her with a "girl" alternative. A balance is great and what your LO wants is what's most important. In the end what we should be celebrating is kids abilities to make their own choices regardless of it's gender-bending. Or gender-confirming.
Wishing you all the best in health.
No comments:
Post a Comment