Thursday, March 27, 2014

Toothy Thursday: Jerk Chicken in the Slow Cooker

My SO loves spicy food, so when I first suggested that I make this recipe, he was over the moon :)

My modifications for this recipe were minimal. For the oil, I chose coconut oil (a much healthier option and fairly superior [for cooking] than all the other oils). Instead of brown sugar, I used coconut palm sugar. The other thing that I did differently, is I made it in the slow cooker. 


I love making food in the slow cooker, it's soooo tender and the flavours are enhanced by the extended cooking time, it's like marinating and cooking at the same time. ‎

I got the marinade recipe from ‎http://caribbeanpot.com/a-classic-jamaican-jerk-marinade/

Essentially, you'll be putting all the following ingredients in the blender. Depending on the blenders capabilities, you might be able to put everything in at once (chopped first) or you might need to do a few items at a time like the recipe suggests. 

5 scallions (green onions)
5 sprigs of fresh thyme (about 1 tbsp chopped; or if you're using dry 1/2 tbsp)
2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1 tbsp of brown sugar (I substituted coconut palm sugar)
2 tsp ground allspice (if you don't have, mix equal parts nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves)
1tsp nutmer
1 tsp cinnamon
2 scotch bonnet peppers (be extra careful in handling these, I'd recommend gloves)
1/3 cup soy sauce (organic or non-gmo is preferable)
2 tbsp vegetable oil (preferably coconut oil)
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 onion
1/2 cup of orange juice
2 cloves of garlic (I like garlic so I increase this to 3 or 4)
1 tsp of grated ginger

Blend until smooth. 
Place the chicken in the slow cooker. 
Pour the jerk marinade on top of the chicken. 
Cook on low for 6 hours. 

If you have little ones, like I do, rinse the sauce off so that it's not spicy (that way you don't have to make something special for them). And I always serve it with a glass of milk on the side, in case it's still too spicy. 

A simple and nutritious dish. It is great for clearing the sinuses. A favourite on colder days or for when you're feeling under the weather. Or if you're like my SO, then any day is a good day to have jerk chicken. 

Wishing you all the best in health.




No comments: