In previous posts about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome we discussed misdiagnosis, symptoms and the less spoken about symptoms.
In this post, I'd like to tackle my journey during the last few months.
(I need to mention a couple of background things: I did not study medicine, most of my medical knowledge is from my own research. Also, I am currently breastfeeding my toddler as I have decided to let my little one self-wean).
As I mentioned previously, my first concern that led to my diagnosis was a lack of a period for the duration of 4 months. I first took home pregnancy tests that came back negative. Followed by blood work, to confirm that I was not pregnant. From there I did an ultrasound. It was after my ultrasound that I began to look up what else I might have and based on a few keywords that the ultrasound technician used that I first found PCOS and began my research. A week later, I went to my doctor who told me the results of my ultrasound and confirmed that I have PCOS and just to be completely sure, he also sent me for bloodwork to check my hormone levels. The results of my bloodwork, confirmed the ultrasound technicians suspicions that I indeed have PCOS.
I'm not sure if it was because I guessed (out loud) before the doctor told me that I have PCOS or because I had previously worked for the doctor as a secretary that he assumed I was knowledgeable enough to not provide me with further information but regardless I was not impressed. There was only two things my doctor said/did in regards to my PCOS: to refer me to an OB/GYN (appointment isn't until May, so I haven't even seen him yet) and to recommend that I lose weight (the how of this was never discussed and no helpful material was provided).
There are many medications I could be put on, that many other "cysters" go on. There are many reasons why I am not going on them but the main one is the breastfeeding.
All this aside, one main aspect of my doctor's visit annoyed me. The only concern that my doctor had with my PCOS was about conceiving. He didn't mention or discuss depression, hirsutism, or any of the other symptoms. But greater still was his lack of mention of the risk that I have due to my lack of period and the greater potential of endometrial cancer. This surprised me, as he's usually ontop of things. Maybe he thought that the OB/GYN would be able to better tackle this but if I wait until I see the OB/GYN, it will have been 10 months since I last had a period putting me at even greater risk.
It wasn't until I stumbled upon someone's post on a facebook group for PCOS that I realized the increased risk for cancer.
This is when I began taking matters into my own hands and seeking options to treat my symptoms of concern.
First I read up on progesterone. While this might help "balance" my hormones, it wasn't ideal for me as it would make it's way into the milk supply for my little one and I'm not sure about possible long term effects on my child.
Then I stumbled upon maca. Maca is a root vegetable similar to radishes, that is native to Peru. This plant seems to have a list of health benefits and uses (the following is borrowed from WebMD):
"Tired blood" (anemia)
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Enhancing energy
Stamina
Athletic performance
Memory
Fertility
Female hormone imbalance
Menstrual problems
Symptoms of menopause
Depression
Osteoporosis
Stomach cancer
Leukemia
HIV/AIDS
Tuberculosis
Erectile Dysfunction
To arouse sexual desire
To boost the immune system
I continued my search further to see what I can find that links the use of maca and improving symptoms of PCOS. That's when I came across PCOS Diva's post about MacaHarmony. I liked the information I found from the interview she had with the CEO of Natural Health International (the company that makes MacaHarmony). (You can read the interview here: http://www.pcosdiva.com/2011/06/maca-qa-on-femmenessence/ ). I found reviews on amazon.com and some vlogs. I liked what I was reading. I also really liked the information available through NHI's website.
See maca comes in a few different colours (a.k.a. phenotypes). And NHI claims to have figured out which combination of which phenotypes will work best for men, women who are pre-menopause, women who are post-menopause, women experiencing peri menopausal symptoms.
I was still a little skeptical but figured all I had to lose was a little bit of money and what I had to gain was a lowered risk of cancer.
I placed my order via phone and the representative was very polite and informative. After speaking with her, I realized I had some medical questions I forgot to ask and noticed that they had an e-mail address specifically for a medical team. So I wrote my questions and the responses (every time I e-mailed them) were within 24hrs. I was so impressed.
One of the questions I asked was about breastfeeding. I knew that they recommend that you don't take it while breastfeeding but I'm not breastfeeding an infant, I'm breastfeeding a toddler. I was informed that at this stage it shouldn't be a problem and that what they'd recommend is beginning with half the dosage for the first 15 days.
I was so excited when I received my package of MacaHarmony. I followed the directions and did the half dosage for 15 days. During those two weeks I experienced some symptoms as my body adjusted. They were nothing severe, the most noticeable was the gas (burping).
The package stated to wait about a cycle to get results. And from what I read on amazon's reviews most people had result around 3-4 weeks. I figured that I shouldn't begin counting until I begin taking the full dose. Day after day, week after week I waited. I noticed improvement in my energy level it began small but increased. I also noticed a change in mood, with increased energy I got more done and felt better about the accomplishments. I had set the deadline for my expectations at 30 days from when I began taking the full dose. And as if my body was reading my mind, on the 30th day I got my period. I'm waiting to see if this cycle continues, or if this was just a fluke. But I'm relieved regardless that my cancer risk has decreased from where it was weeks ago.
In the posts to come, I plan on discussing more about symptoms and further information. I'm not paid to endorse MacaHarmony, this is just my story and what I've found and experienced. I hope to provide more updates about more results including bloodwork, ultrasound, and symptom changes.
2 comments:
Great to read this story in the aspect of 'someone has bern there to'
My doctor sent me to a gynecologist at 16 after my periods had stopped completely for about a year, telling ne this was quite normal.
I was then diagnosed with PCOS and mainly told I couldnt have children. Or at that age I admit thats all that I had taken in, which devastated me, as I had already known my love for wanting them.
I was left for years thinking this and having no periods. After pushing fir more help I was put on different medication which once gave me a petiod and the second time caused blood clots in my leg and lung.
Over thr years I have constantly snd forever been told to lose weight and thst this would help. Even tho my weight gain grew after the periods stopped! And now going for a gastric balloon to help with this! Ive had terrible hair problems and still no periods or children. The depression has been extream to the point that most of my health problems have been put down to depression and misdiagnoses has happened lots, even the blood clots were missed and I was told it was all in my head. Im now 34 and still feeling that ive been unfairly treated in so many incidences but just want this to be more reconised and desperately wanting to takeit further to make this more aware and get more help for us. I just pray mine hadnt gone any further, like you state regarding cancer!
Thank you for the page and I eill certainky look at the macahatmony. X
Sorry for the typos I hope its readable
Post a Comment