Saturday, April 27, 2013

An epiphany

e·piph·a·ny
[ih-pif-uh-nee]
a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight




Let the light bulb turn on
Let me sing my song
About an epiphany
For which I've been waiting too long

Let me tell my story
If anyone wishes to hear
About a moment
When everything becomes clear

We always say "them" or "everyone"
We mean society
We mean what people assume to be the norm
But nothing is normal
That term doesn't really exist
It is about as fictional
As the creation myth

Everyone says it'll get better
Everyone lies
Everyone is just hoping and praying
For better days to come
So they lift their glasses
As they hear my song's distant voice
barely audible
Over society's noise

Everyone makes life seem easy
Or maybe that's just TV
And all the lies it seems to be feeding
Me and my family
It tells me I'm not perfect
That there's one more thing I need
And that money can buy happiness
And that I can win the lottery

Because everyone says it'll get better
But everyone lies
'Cause everyone is hoping and praying
For better days to come
So they lift their glasses
As they hear my song's distant voice
And raise a toast
Over society's noise

I'm getting distracted
From what I meant to say
There is no real manual
For how you live day to day
So who are "they" to lecture me
About what I need to consume
I'm tired of being your garbage can
Filled with "everyone's" refuse

Yeah, everyone says it'll get better
Everyone lies
Everyone is hoping and praying
For better days to come
So they lift their glasses
 as they hear my song's distant voice
a lost epiphany
Over everyone's noise

No comments: