So today's recipe is actually a beverage and not a meal. It is another way to enjoy the anti-inflammatory (and all around superfood) turmeric in your diet. This has become a favourite drink of mine that I crave.
As one recipe author wrote: "move over hot chocolate". Turmeric (like maca) is fat-soluble; which means it is best absorbed by the body when in a "fatty" dish/drink. This explains why this recipe uses coconut milk (but the majority of dairy options contain fat, so almond or even cow's milk [not skim] would be a fine substitute as well). The other thing I learned and have adapted into my Turmeric Tea is that black pepper enhances the potency of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric that yields all the health benefits. I've found a few different Turmeric Tea recipes but none incorporate all the things I do, which is why I will not be linking to a specific recipe. To enjoy my version of Turmeric Tea, here's my recipe:
As one recipe author wrote: "move over hot chocolate". Turmeric (like maca) is fat-soluble; which means it is best absorbed by the body when in a "fatty" dish/drink. This explains why this recipe uses coconut milk (but the majority of dairy options contain fat, so almond or even cow's milk [not skim] would be a fine substitute as well). The other thing I learned and have adapted into my Turmeric Tea is that black pepper enhances the potency of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric that yields all the health benefits. I've found a few different Turmeric Tea recipes but none incorporate all the things I do, which is why I will not be linking to a specific recipe. To enjoy my version of Turmeric Tea, here's my recipe:
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk (or fatty dairy alternative)
1 tbsp of butter (optional or you can add coconut oil for a dairy-free alternative)
1 tsp turmeric (powdered or grated root)
1 tsp ginger (powdered or grated root)
1/8 tsp of black pepper (if you're too worried about the flavour of the black pepper, decrease to a pinch)
1/2 - 1 tbsp raw honey
Makes 2 servings
In a sauce pan heat water and coconut milk together on medium heat.
After 2 min add butter, turmeric, ginger and black pepper.
Continue to heat for another 2 min. Do not boil.
Pour into cup, if you would prefer a smooth texture then strain through a fine mesh sieve.
Stir in honey and enjoy.
Wishing you all the best in health!

No comments:
Post a Comment